Saturday, January 24, 2015

HUMBLE TIPS FROM ME TO YOU: BOOKS I HAVE FOUND HELPFUL


POST 8
Kristen

HUMBLE TIPS FROM ME TO YOU: BOOKS I HAVE FOUND HELPFUL

Books I’ve found very helpful
The Art of Character by David Corbett
Writing Between the Lines by Jessica Morrell
Wired for Story by Lisa Cron
On Writing bStephen King
Podcasts* I’ve discovered
Inside Creative Writing (very good, but only 15 episodes)
Fiction School (so-so.  A little ‘goofy’ and off topic at times)
Write 2B Read: Self Publishing tips (the host not so good, but she some of her interviews are interesting)
*Podcasts:  It’s a purple app on your phone.  Go to the “search” and type in either the title of the podcast (above) or a general topic “writing”.  Check the reviews—esp how many—and the number of episodes.  Under “details” it will give the title of the podcast topics and the year.  It’s great in the car or when you’re walking.
Personnel Writing Tips
Connect with a writing group!  Keep attending writing classes, seminars, writing projects, writing retreats, Meet-Up Groups, any and every opportunity for ideas.
Delete.  Sometimes the purpose of that portion (the-to-be deleted part) of your book is to take you to the next level.  Even when I know it’s great and I love it, I try to think of it asa planted seed that may need to be ‘weeded’.
Read it out loud. Especially the Dialogue. Or have it read out loud to you.
Let it percolate. When I feel like I’m forcing the story forward and it doesn’t want to go there, I put it aside for at least two weeks and then come back to it with fresh eyes.
Write a character backstory sketch. I just did this for my current project and it’s made a huge and noticeable difference in my story.  
Select your ‘stopping place’. When you can choose a “stopping place” chose a place where you will excited to continue, not always a point where you are ‘stuck.’
Kristin Orloff
American Wings, Iranian Roots (narrative non-fiction of a gold-medal wrestlers who defects from Iran in 1982 and later returns to rescue his sisters)
Harmony (fiction; An OC family endures the 2008 meltdown)
Both works are available in print and as an e-book on Amazon.  
Contact me anytime at Orloffwrites@gmail.com or kkorloff@outlook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment